June 9, 2007

Life As A Mom

So I've decided to re-enter the world of blogging in an effort to better chronicle my new life as a mom (or my life as a new mom?), but more importantly, to remember the tiny details of Kapono's babyhood. He is 17 weeks and a day and it takes my breath away how quickly the time has passed. I remember hearing people say that they can't remember life before their children...well, I can remember life before Kapono but it was a different life -- a little less chaotic and exhausting, but also a little less miraculous.

Emiliano and I are still in the awestruck phase of being Kapono's parents -- sometimes we just gaze at him, drinking in his beauty, marveling at our creation, well, God's creation, but we do take some credit! I tell people that we couldn't be happier with Kapono and it's the absolute truth. I find myself already nostalgic for his newborn days, although, it also feels like parenting gets better with time. And it also feels like Kapono has acclimated a litte more to life outside the womb. The concept of the 4th trimester (Dr. Karp) makes a lot of sense to me -- I mean, babies spend an average of 40 weeks (nearly a year!) inside the womb, it's logical to think that they would need a little time to adjust to life outside of it. I remember writing a poem in college with the opening line "I awake in liquid life..." and I wonder about that now -- life inside the womb. It boggles my mind to think that some people actually remember that experience. I feel so disconnected from my own babyhood, not in a bad way, just a not-able-to-remember way.

So...chronicling Kapono...today, after a sort-of lazy morning (there really is no such thing as *lazy* in a parent's existence), we had a lovely time visiting with friends at a beach party for dearest Negin and Lev, who get married tomorrow!!! What is still amazing to us is how good-natured Kapono is about being passed from person to person -- especially being a part of such a large and vibrant Baha'i community, Kapono has lots of aunties and uncles to adore him. Last night, we dined at Ethiopian Diamond, also part of the pre-wedding festivities, and the wait staff there just couldn't get enough of him. One of the ladies even took him behind the bar while she worked!

Well, my most favorite things about Kapono lately have been his giggling, his ticklishness on his back and his neck (just like Uncle Kenny), kissing his nostrils (yes, his nostrils!), and his *talking*. He's also so sweet and snuggly -- and he sleeps beautifully at night, meaning, he actually sleeps A LOT. I'm also crazy about his hands and his toes (miniatures of his father's) and his dark, dark eyes -- I realized just yesterday that his eyes are even darker than mine (which are darker than Emil's). The brown of his eyes is almost as dark as his pupil right now -- which only adds to his overall gorgeous-ness, of course. Kapono is also really enjoying the sight of himself (and mom!) in the mirror thesedays. I'll hold him, cheek to cheek, and rock towards the mirror and he scrunches his nose and laughs. I read that it's not until 7-8 months that babies recognize their own reflections but he really does smile when he sees his own sweet face.

Emil will often look at Kapono and then say something along the lines of "we are so blessed" or "we got so lucky" and I think that really captures how I feel -- blessed and lucky in my life as a mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you're blogging! For one thing, I can keep up on your life, and two, I'll learn all sorts of things about parenting. Hooray for Kim.

Nathonius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathonius said...

I've heard (or read) that it's a good idea to take a lot of video of babies when they are young, because they change so fast, etc. But I think wrtiting, like you are doing, is much better than that. For example the darkness of his eyes and how it affects you, you can't capture that on video.
I can definitely relate to missing the little infant stage :( ... but on the flip, if they stayed like that it would probably get boring after awhile.

Kim said...

Thanks Mojan! I'm realizing that the cyber-world is really a wonderful way to stay connected with loved ones living far away (like you!)

Kim said...

Thank you for sharing that, Nate! I've actually been worried that we're not taking enough photos and video -- it's hard to keep up. I tell Emiliano that I wish we could just set-up a tripod and run a camera 24-7 to capture every moment.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so overwhelmed with joy for you and your gorgeous family. I'm also disappointed in myself for still not meeting Kapono!! I leave for AZ tomorrow, but when I get back I really want to make the "trip" out to see you all. Thank you for taking a verbal snapshot of the intimate details of motherhood - the experience as you've written it simply takes my breath away!

Mona

Kim said...

Mona! So nice to hear from you. I talked to Kristie last nite and she let me know that you'll be doing camp together next week -- yay! Please do get in touch when you're back in town so that we can visit and introduce Kapono to his Auntie Mona!