June 13, 2008

I Did It!

I did it...I survived my first year pre-med. I didn't tell very many people this, if anyone (other than Emiliano and my siblings), but after my first week of chemistry and physics at Northwestern, I actually called the school to get the details on withdrawing from the program. It was just so daunting and intimidating and, well, really, really hard. I sort of breezed through school before (back in the day, right?) but this past year, I found myself really struggling academically and my confidence was shaken. But I did it!

Even though I am totally reconsidering the pre-med track, I am so proud of myself for having accomplished what I did -- succeeding in school as a new mom. I had no idea how challenging it would be and I have a newfound, profound respect for anyone studying and/or pursuing a career in the sciences (especially women and especially moms!) Although at times I felt like collapsing from exhaustion and frustration, I'm excited that I've learned a little bit more about our world and how it all works -- like, quarks and nucleons and why we *know* the universe is expanding and that the sun will eventually burn itself up (in 5 billion years or so).

I told Emiliano that I don't know what to do with myself now...it's still surreal that I don't have gobs of homework to agonize over and massive amounts of information to cram into my brain. I only just finished my last final this evening and it hasn't sunk in that I am a free woman. When I asked my friend, Rachel, what I should do over the summer, she said, "Have fun?" -- so, one of my goals is to take her advice!

3 comments:

Juicebox said...

Aww, i am SO proud of you! A brand new mom AND a medical student...not many women would even attempt that. You are awesome. Congratulations on finishing your first year!! :)

mykgerard said...

Kim.. I believe in you! It is going to be hard but you will succeed. I know people that aren't nearly as bright and hardworking as you that have somehow pulled it off.

Now don't forget your professor wants you to memorize all of the body's muscles and their insertion points into the skeleton by tomorrow morning..

Elin said...

Congratulations!! Maybe remember back to why you started on this track. I will be eternally greatful for the true friendship and support you gave me during my lamaze class and my delivery. As you know, delivery is a very personal and sacred moment. Thank you for being you.
love
elin