August 19, 2007

But We Already Have a Baby!

Emiliano and I have been gifted with a special community of many young parents. Just tonight, we found out that another dearly loved friend of ours is pregnant (this makes the 5th friend who is expecting sometime this fall/winter). After I got married, I couldn't get enough of weddings -- gathering for the sole purpose of celebrating and honoring a lifetime commitment of love. Now, having recently experienced pregnancy, childbirth, and new parenthood, it's a similar feeling -- I feel almost giddy when I hear that someone is pregnant -- I just can't get enough of celebrating and honoring this new life. I know what a miraculous journey is in store for the new parents, particularly the mother, and I feel blessed to somehow be a part of it -- there is a magic surrounding babies and I want to be near enough to feel that magic.

Well, maybe I got too close tonight ;-) because for the first time since my own child's birth, I felt ready, really ready, to be pregnant again. And that is HUGE (no pun intended). And when I say ready, I mean ready...ready to endure 40 weeks (give or take) of morning-noon-&-night sickness, an overactive bladder, an aching back and swollen feet...and the list goes on. But then there's the flip side...40 weeks of nurturing my child, feeling him grow and move within me, hearing his heartbeat, tracking his progress, guessing his features (my eyes, his father's nose?), anxiously waiting to *meet* him.

I told Emiliano tonight, "I feel ready to be pregnant again" and I added, "Everybody else is pregnant", almost like, everyone else is getting pregnant, why not us?

His reply, "But we already have a baby!" :P

8 comments:

Sholeh said...

AHAHAHA priceless.

Anonymous said...

Being pregnant is hard, but it's also more fun than I expected. So yeah, I'll probably be ready to do it all over again not too long from now! We'll see.

Anonymous said...

When our daughter was about the same age, I said the same thing! Funny. Another friend of mine said the same thing when her son was about Kapono's age, too. It must be something about having a baby that age. I've reconsidered already. Julieta is 8 months old and we're okay leaving it up to nature.

Kim said...

Sholeh -- the things tired dads say, huh? ;)

Mojan -- Sounds like there's something to the 7 month mark. And I'm so glad that you feel that way about being pregnant. I had so many moms re-live their pregnancy days vicariously through me while I was carrying Kapono. They just gushed about what a special time it is and how they'd do it all over again in a heartbeat - encouraging to hear!

Leila - how funny! I had no idea that it wasn't just me. I wonder if around 7 months or so, you start feeling like you're getting into the rhythm and routine of all this parenting stuff? I'm not sure if Emiliano's ready to leave it up to nature, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction. We have friends that followed the "leave it up to nature" method and they just had their 4th (ages 10 months, 3, 5, and 6).

Dena said...

hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Nature may also get help from us after a couple of kids... don't know if 4 babies is in our future. eek.

Kim said...

I like the *idea* of four kids, but I'm not so sure about the reality of it :P

Ingrid said...

i loved reading this post, kim. i really want you to meet my friend, kat. she's syked to have another young mom in her area.